Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Issue for your review

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 10:19, Danda, Venkata wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> You are right. In case of the receiving side application fails
> to persist the message or some thing goes wrong in the server side
> it will raise server side http error code to the MSH. Receiver side
> MSH should communicate this to the Sender. As you mentioned the data
> will exchanged between the MSHs but not to the applications properly.

Here's the thing...  The Receiver side does not need to propogate
internal errors to the Sender MSH using transport protocols.  If the
Receiver MSH experiences a failure that prevents it from taking
responsibility for the inbound message then it indicates this implicitly
by _not_ returning an ebXML Ack or explicitly by sending an ebXML
Error.  In either case transport protocol response codes are not
involved...

If the Receiver MSH even _attempts_ to return an ebXML Ack then it has
already taken contractual responsibility for delivering the message to a
bound ToParty or to a NextMSH.  This is regardless of whether or not the
ebXML Ack transmits ok.

One last point that you and Mike have raised is that failure to leverage
transport protocol response codes can mean that an MSH will hold on to
ebXML data without delivering it.  I have thought about this and cannot
bring to mind a legal situation where an MSH could be in a position of
blocking an ebXML message without delivering it to a bound ToParty or
forwarding to a NextMSH....?

Cheers,

Dave Elliot