Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] LZJU90 Compressed Encoding

Doug,

I know that HTTP is totally fine with gzip and other binary
formats...many web servers even support sending gzipped documents to
clients that request it.  I also know that many (most?) SMTP servers
support 8 bit, but that cannot be guaranteed.  I was looking for
something that I could propose to the group that would work
universally, perhaps optionally allowing the SOAP envelope attachment
to be compressed as well as payloads via the transfer encoding header.

The reason I was looking at LZJU90 was that it defines compression that
encodes.  All the compression algos I looked at produced binary output
that would not be SMTP friendly, causing mail servers to feel compelled
to do some encoding themselves.

-Matt