Subject: [ebxml-msg] Compression/Performance Roundup

During the last meeting, we discussed the topic of compression of ebXML
Messages.  The discussion branched out into a dialogue on performance
of message transmission and processing.

 From that dialogue, I've compiled a summary of the issues that we need
to discuss for version 3.0.  These issues are really just talking
points for the general topic of performance, which a v3 implementation
of nearly anything has to take into account.

- Compression algorithms for use with MIME "Transfer Encoding".
- XML Compression
- Compression and its relationship to encryption and digital signature.
	- Compression before encryption allegedly provides more throughput at
the expense of CPU.  Do we spec comp-before-enc, or investigate S/MIME?
- Specification of performance measures for both SMTP and HTTP.
- Review of current "profile" section in the spec with an eye toward
integrating performance considerations into various profiles, e.g.

HTTP>GzipEnvelope>CompB4EncPayloads>EncPayloads
HTTP>GzipAll
SMTP>GzipB64All

If I missed anything, please add to this.

-Matt