Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Compression/Performance Roundup

Dale,

Yes, I thought these could be topics at the F2F.  As for XML Encryption,
I tend to agree with you.  It should be used in instances where
encrypting small pieces of the data is important.  If the whole payload
needed to be encrypted, another mechanism would be aproprate...maybe
S/MIME or PGP/MIME or something.  Can you recommend any required reading
on S/MIME?

-Matt
-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Moberg [mailto:dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 10:37 AM
To: Matthew MacKenzie
Cc: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

Sounds like enough to get started to me! For the face to face?

I would add that we should really investigate S/MIME (CMS)
as an alternative to XML encryption for "bulk" (payload?)
xml encryption. I am wondering whether XML encryption
should be mainly reserved for "smallish" items within
XML documents (passwords, pins, credit card numbers and
small risky items like that); this worry is based
on the base64 expansion issue
that you are not wild about, and that
occurs for basically any xmlencryption process,
as far as I can tell.

I saw that the XMill compression approach is largely
superceded from performance standpoint-- thanks for the reference, Matt.

Dale Moberg