Subject: [ebxml-msg] FW: [ebxml-dev] ebXML MS Headers and Application layerprocessing

Title: FW: [ebxml-dev] ebXML MS Headers and Application layer processing

-----Original Message-----
From: Fraser Goffin [mailto:goffinf@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 10:31 AM
To: ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org

Should application message handlers ever need to refer to ebXML headers or
are such headers regarded as information that is targeted at protocol
handlers that perform non application specific tasks such as authentication
or routing (i.e. the ebXMLMS protocol handler) ?

If when designing a SOAP service the same piece of data is required for
application and non application specific purposes, should it be carried in a
SOAP Header AND as part of the SOAP Body payload ?

An ebXMLMS example :

As a service provider I decide to use the ConversationId of the
MessageHeader header to relate a quote request to a quote response that will
be provided later (i.e. asynchronously). This ConversationId is used as a
key to [say] a database row which will at some point contain the response
message and it is the application message service handler that goes and
checks for it and returns it to the original caller.

Is this reasonable, or does it smack of a poor implementation which is
muddling protocol level and application level data ??

A general SOAP example:

Say I pass authentication credentials as a SOAP Header (as follows). During
the processing of this message, I perform the authentication step extracting
the credentials from the SOAP header and passing to an authentication
process. If authentication is successful I call the service specific message
handler and use the authentication UserID as a lookup for other information
(say a commission rate). Would you expect the UserId data to appear as part
of the payload definition as well ? :-

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="..."
  <SOAP-ENV:Header>
    <frg:Authentication xmlns:frg="some-uri">
      <frg:UserId>0123456789</frg:CustomerRef>
      <frg:Pwd>135246</frg:Pwd>
    </frg:Authentication>
  </SOAP-ENV:Header>
  <SOAP-ENV:Body>