Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Section 3.1.2 reworking of what appeared tobeconsensus view, action item 1

Title: RE: [ebxml-msg] Section 3.1.2 reworking of what appeared to beconsensus view, action item 1
Dale,

I wasn't able to attend the meeting so my comments may reflect a lack of context, if so please disregard.

Does "conflict" refer to "any message exchange sequence that deviates from *all* the agreed to behavior defined in the CPA contract"? If so, the statement may be too broad.

For example, suppose the CPA mandates the use of S/MIME for payload encryption but the trading partner uses PGP during a message exchange. This may be a case where one may want to "turn on" compliance checking.

I believe the ability to turn on/off CPA compliance checking may need to be specified at a granular level. Was that the intent of the statement?

As I said earlier, my question may be suffering from a "lack of context".

Thanks,

Dick Brooks
Systrends, Inc
7855 South River Parkway, Suite 111
Tempe, Arizona 85284
Web: www.systrends.com <http://www.systrends.com>
Phone:480.756.6777,Mobile:602-684-1484,eFax:240-352-0714

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Moberg [mailto:dmoberg@cyclonecommerce.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 8:00 PM
To: Martin Sachs; ebxml-msg

Marty,

Let me rephrase the second sentence because I _did_ intend to say that
something is optional to implement. I think this optionality to
implement (the real MAY) is what the consensus was in the group.

"A receiver MAY implement the ability to turn off checking for conflicts
between a CPA and messages (for performance or other reasons)."

In other words, it is not mandatory to implement a configurability
capability that allows turning off checking. The implication would be
that a sender cannot count on being able to avoid error code reports of
Inconsistent, and so must be prepared to deal with them always. The
implementer must be able to check for "Inconsistent" type errors, and
can always do so--never ignoring the error. However, a vendor may choose
to allow an Inconsistent error to be ignored by turning off a check.

But this section was agreed by all to be tricky. Is this any better? Has
the apparent inconsistency been removed?

Dale Moberg

==============
Marty said

The word MAY is not appropriate in the second sentence  because it
permits
a vendor to omit checking whether messages conflict with the CPA, in
conflict with the first sentence, which requires that the check be
implemented.  I suggest for the second sentence:  It is permissible for
receiver to configure its MSH not to check whether messages conflict..."

At 06:57 PM 3/12/2003 -0700, Dale Moberg wrote:

> From Section 3.1.2
>New DRAFT language
>
>A receiver MUST be capable of determining that a message is in conflict

>with an actual CPA agreed to between the parties. A receiver MAY be
>configured not to check whether messages conflict with the CPA
>governing the message, for performance or some other reason. If a
>receiver checks whether the message conforms with an agreed upon CPA
>governing the message, then if a Receiving MSH detects an
>inconsistency, then it MUST report it with an errorCode of Inconsistent

>and a severity of Error.

Martin Sachs
standards architect
Cyclone Commerce