Subject: FW: [ebxml-dev] ebMS Asynchronous Binding to HTTP

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Dillon [mailto:mikedillon@attbi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:47 AM
To: Patrick Yee; james.wowchuk@marketboomer.com;
ebxml-dev@lists.ebxml.org
Cc: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [ebxml-dev] ebMS Asynchronous Binding to HTTP

 This is a complicated issue that directly affects key MSH design choices.
 I suggest that the messaging Committee discuss this and issue a
 recommendation, if thats possible per OASIS procedures.

 I believe the intention of the ebXML Messaging Specification is that
	1) There is a clear seperation between the protocol stacks
	2) The ebXML level Acknowledgment is the event that tells you
		the message has been received

 My personal point of view is I would like to see the specification state
 1) A receiving MSH MUST attempt to return the http response before
returning
	an ebXML level acknowledgment
 2) The message orginator must anticipate that due to processing,network
	or load balancing anamolies an asynchronous ebXML level acknowledgment
	may be received prior to receiving the original synchronous http response.
	The message originator SHOULD handle this scenario gracefully, and rely on
	the ebXML level acknowledgment as the event that signals the message has
been
	successfully received.

 In other words, I believe that the MSH systems should be designed to
 always return the http response first, and to gracefully handle the
 unusual situation where having sent a message, the ebXML acknowledgment
 is received back before the http response is received back.

 Its worth noting that AS2 has incorporated such language, mostly due to the
fact
 that large messages are commonplace in the AS2 world, and if the http
response
 is not returned in a timely fashion you run into timeouts, out of synch
 transactions and resource/thread issues. The latest AS2 version states
 	"When handling an asynchronous request, the HTTP response must be
	sent back before the MDN is processed and sent on the separate connection."
 An MDN is a Message Disposition Notification, effectively the same as an
ebXML
 level acknowledgement.

 I skimmed through the RosettaNet RNIF specification and I could not find a
discussion
 on this point.  Im curious how other async messaging services that sit on
top of HTTP deal
 with this issue...

 Mike Dillon
 Drummond Group, Inc