Subject: Re: [ebxml-cppa-negot] CPA negotiation removes all but one ChannelId element?

I hope that others will also respond to Sacha's commentsso that we have
some serious discussion.  I give some initial answers below.

Members of the CPPA and MSG TCs:  Please see Sacha's comment below about
dynamic switching of delivery channels.

Regards,
Marty

At 05:43 PM 10/21/2003 +0800, Sacha Schlegel wrote:
>Hi CPA negotiation group
>
>Sorting out preferences among elements is thought to be handled by the
>CPA negotiation process.
>
>Example:  To show the support of several transport protocols, a party
>can have a list of several ChannelId elements in a
>ThisPartyActionBinding element.
>
><CPP>
>   <ThisPartyActionBinding ...>
>     <BusinessTransactionCharacteristics .../>
>     <ActionContext ...>
>     <ChannelId>x</ChannelId>
>     <ChannelId>y</ChannelId>
>     <ChannelId>z</ChannelId>
>   </ThisPartyActionBinding>
></CPP>
>
>If the CPA negotiation process sorts out WHICH delivery channel is taken
>(x, y, or z) does that mean that a CPA will allways have only ONE
>ChannelId element per ThisPartyActionBinding element (variant a)?
>
>OR does it just reorder the list (variant b)?

MWS:  Reordering is not enough in a CPA. Unused elements should always be
deleted during the negotiation process.

>sample variant a:
>
><CPA>
>   <ThisPartyActionBinding ...>
>     <BusinessTransactionCharacteristics .../>
>     <ActionContext ...>
>     <ChannelId>y</ChannelId>
>   </ThisPartyActionBinding>
></CPA>
>
>variant a: the CPA negotiation would make sure the two DelvieryChannels
>(of CPP one and CPP two) are compatible (might get tricky as the
>negotiation actors (human or computer) would need to know the
>interdependance of the elements/attributes). The CPA composition tool
>might have provided the list of elements/attributes to check in its
>NDD. Then once a delivery channel is chosen, the other delivery channels
>and its NDD entries can be removed.
>
>variant b: Compatibility  issue as in variant a. I could imagine, that
>a "dynamic" MSH could switch Delivery Channel in case that one
>Delivery Channel goes down, eg becomes unreliable. The MSH's then
>must be able to track both Delivery Channels.
MWS: This is an interesting point.   I have included the CPPA and MSG teams
in the address of this message for their consideration. I don't think that
we ever explicitly discussed this point.

>What is the consus of this one?
>
>Kind regards.
>
>Sacha Schlegel
>
>PS: Just got Individual OASIS member yesterday, hurray
>--
>Sacha                                   Schlegel
>4 Warwick Str, 6102 St. James, Perth,  Australia
>sacha@schlegel.li                www.schlegel.li
>public key:            www.schlegel.li/sacha.gpg

Martin Sachs
standards architect