Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] WSI signatures propsal & impact on ebXML Messaging

Duane writes:

ebMS'ers, I have an architectural level PoV that should be discussed.

When people have asked about  ebXML MS vs. SOAP, I try to reconcile the
two by saying that ebXML MS is really SOAP ( based on SOAP) with some
extra bits that make it suitable for eBusiness (notwithstanding the
technical edge).  The two are both suited for different things - one as
a lightweight replacement for XML-RPC and the other a finely tuned
messaging that supports complex and long running business
collaborations.  Like a Car, a bicycle, a bus, a taxi and walking - they
can all accomplish the same feat, just each are better suited to a
different set of requirements.

My question is, do the recent advances in SOAP ridge the gap to the
point where the two may eventually converge as one spec, or are there
still a large set of  differentiators between the two.

Dale Moberg> The features preview for ebMS 3.0 is really based on the
premise that the open WS-standards now available are getting closer in
capturing (via "modular" header blocks)a good deal of the functionality
required in ebMS 2.0. In addition, a couple of the things we had to punt
on (like mixing XMLDsig and XMLEncryption) are now getting a decent
treatment in OASIS WSS, for example. It is time to reduce the clutter
and in the 3.0 variant we plan to make use of open standards when
available and suitable.

Duane continues: Has anyone made a matrix of the two like this: CPAID,
Conversation ID ebXML MS requires one, SOAP doesn't however, you could
demand that a CPAID element be included in the SOAP:body as part of a
payload Time to persist (from CPA)

Dale Moberg> I don't think we have a spread sheet or table yet, but we
do have a rough inventory in the Feature preview. CPAID, for example, is
something we discussed as possibly being conveyed in a WS-CAF context
header block. The conversationId might also go in that block.
Things having no equivalent yet are the To, From, Action, Service, Role.
All these ideas are, of course, very preliminary and the consensus about
them will have to form about them over the next few months.