Subject: Service Discovery

I've been playing around with DNS Service Discovery (part of Apple's Rendevous, http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-dns-sd.txt). It is basically a way to find specific services and proper application-level connection info from DNS (unicast or multicast). My interest has been primarily with Registry, but the though occurred to me that it would be useful with ebMS as well.

Imagine this use case:

1. Search partnernet.company.com for ebXML Messaging instances.
2. Choose one, e.g. "Sales"
3. Obtain basic connection details from DNS for "Sales".
4. Connect to the ebMS instance's "interrogation" service, find "CPA Negotiation Service"
5. Negotiate CPA.
6. Interact!

This would be done with no configuration, and knowledge only of the search domain. A trading network could be organized easily, with a single DNS zone file.

I've attached a screenshot of my simple browser tool. I can show/explain a bit more in New Orleans.

PNG image

Matthew MacKenzie
Senior Architect
IDBU Server Solutions