Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Discussion: payload reference for use in SOAP body. Survey of options before writing this up.

XSLT processors seem to put quite different demands on the qualifications of names and how XPath expressions
should handle qualifiers. This in addition to the "xmlns" attribute which simply can't be used like any other attribute.
Using the position of a Body child might work in some cases (although Invoice[1]  below is probably better than Invoice[0]...)
but is unsafe in others.

We will face an increased interoperability threat posed by the reliance of
payload processing utilities (introduced by new payload services, and likely to be different from one MSH to the other).
Think of the silent errors that could happen if an XPath expr just does not select the payload part it should !
It may be very difficult to detect this, and that would look bad if it needs the app layer to be detected.

I suspect the most practical way to deal with this is to think "testing mode", i.e. an MSH should be able to process a message and its payloads just for trial, and send back
a notification containing a "trace" of the processing (which payload part has been selected, and which utility has been applied, etc.) to the sender. This trace could be automatically compared with a reference trace (either given
by teh sending party, or generated by Sender MSH over the same message, just to verify that both MSH endpoints
would behave similarly on the same message).

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew MacKenzie [mailto:mattm@adobe.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 8:55 AM
To: Dale Moberg
Cc: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

So, something like the following may be a good idea..:

cid:<soapBody | attachmentID>[#XPath]

Producing the following valid URIs...

cid:attachment1

cid:attachment1#/ContainerElement/Invoice[0]

cid:soapBody

cid:soapBody#/Invoice[0]

The only problem I see is with namespaces and XPath. I'm not sure if there is an interoperable way to deal with XPath and namespaces. In the past, I've had to register prefix mappings with the XPath engine. Consider:

<SOAP:Body>

        <Invoice xmlns="urn:typeA" />

        <Invoice xmlns="urn:typeB" />

</SOAP:Body>