Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Discussion: payload reference for use in SOAP body. Survey of options before writing this up.

Title: Message
I like the idea that we try to stick with one content identifcation scheme but it should IMO be something
defined according to:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/

http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-element/

http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xmlns/

 http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-xpointer/

I am not certain that inventing special literals will keep us within the xptr-framework.

Maybe we should go with a scheme-based approach and follow xptr-xpointer.

The XPointer xpointer() scheme is intended to be used with the XPointer Framework [XPtrFrame] to provide a high level of functionality for addressing portions of XML documents. It is based on XPath [XPath], and adds the ability to address strings, points, and ranges in accordance with definitions provided in DOM 2: Range.

The CID schema could always be used in combination with the xpointer "fragment" part of the URI-Reference as far as I can tell.

So we would have things like

CID:hex-escaped-cid-value-minus-brackets#xpointer(/envelope/body)  [correct for namespace qualification as needed]

That is, I think the existing frameworks and URI schemes have more than enough expressive power to point to the right stuff.