Subject: Issues found in interoperability test of ebXML Asia

ebMS TC members,

I'd like to report some issues of ebMS V2.0 found in interoperability
test of ebXML Asia (see http://www.ebxmlasia.org/ for the detail of
ebXML Asia). Please add these issues to the issue list.

1. Message order of HTTP Response and Ack Message

 Sending MSH                                        Receiving MSH
    | ----- HTTP Request 1 (ebXML Message with payload) ---->|
    | <---- HTTP Response 1 ---------------------------------|
    | <---- HTTP Request 2 (ebXML Ack Message) --------------|
    | ----- HTTP Response 2 -------------------------------->|

   In the case of reliable messaging above, the Sending MSH receives
   HTTP Response 1 and HTTP Request 2 after sending HTTP Request 1.
   Some ebMS implementations expects that HTTP Response 1 always
   reaches Sending MSH ahead of HTTP Request 2. Because this order
   seems natural sequence from the point of view of a protocol stack.
   But  other ebMS implementations expects that the order between HTTP
   Response 1 and HTTP Request 2 is not defined. This difference
   causes interoperability problems.

   Proposed Resolution:
     Please describes that specific order can't be expected between
     HTTP Response 1 and HTTP Request 2 in HTTP binding section in the
     next version of ebMS specification.
     Because the order between HTTP Response 1 and HTTP Request 2
     depends on the implementation of the Receiving MSH. For example,
     if the Receiving MSH is a single-thread program, the order might
     be fixed. But when the Receiving MSH works as multi-thread
     program, the order can't be fixed.

2. Interpretation of HTTP Response in reliable messaging

 Sending MSH                                        Receiving MSH
    | ----- HTTP Request 1 (ebXML Message with payload) ---->|
    | <---- HTTP Response 1 with error Status-Code ----------|
    | <---- HTTP Request 2 (ebXML Ack Message) --------------|
    | ----- HTTP Response 2 with error Status-Code --------->|

   In the case of reliable messaging above, when HTTP Response 1 has
   an error Status-Code (ex. 5xx: Server Error) and HTTP Request 2
   reaches the Sending MSH successfully, the Sending MSH should
   re-send same ebXML Message with payload using a HTTP Request again?
   Or the Sending MSH should ignore the error Status-Code?

   In like fashion, when HTTP Response 2 has an error Status-Code, the
   Receiving MSH should re-send same Ack Message using a HTTP Request
   again? Or it should ignore the error Status-Code?

   Proposed Resolution:
     Please describes that Status-Code of HTTP Response does not
     affect reliable messaging sequence in the next version of ebMS
     specification.
     Because ebMS reliable messaging has its own Error Message and Ack
     Message. It does not need interpretation of Status-Code of HTTP
     Response. And message sequence on ebMS layer should not depends
     on specific transport layer protocol.

SHIMAMURA Masayoshi <shima.masa@jp.fujitsu.com>
TEL:+81-45-476-4590(ext.7128-4241)  FAX:+81-45-476-4749(ext.7128-6780)
Strategy Planning Dep. I, Strategy and Technology Div., Software Group
FUJITSU LIMITED