Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] CSMA Back-Off Algorithm

Patrick,

At the ebMS face to face meeting last week in Ottawa, improving the retry
mechanism popped up as an issue we would like to address.

The Back-Off algorithm in CSMA seems like suitable prior art to consider in
this issue.  Consider the following:

"A reliable message exchange that must complete within 2 days.  If the
remote party is unavailable, try to retransmit every 30 seconds."

Expiration (e) = P2D
Retry Interval (ri) = P30S

If the remote host experiences an extended period unavailability, valuable
CPU and network resources are wasted on the sending side for 2 days just to
figure this out.  If we apply a back-off algorithm, we can at least reduce
the time allotted to transmitting or attempting to transmit a message to a
host that is not available.

So, with a modified back-off algorthim, we would have:

Expiration (e) = P2D
Retry Interval (ri) = P30S
Back-Off Multiplier (bom) = 1.5
Multiplications before reset (mbr) = 10

Given the above, transmission attempts would look like:

ri+0s: transmit
ri+30s since last transmit
ri+45s since last transmit
ri+67.5s since last transmit
ri+101.25s since last transmit
ri+151.88s since last transmit
ri+227.81s since last transmit
ri+341.7s since last transmit
ri+512.6s since last transmit
ri+768.9s since last  transmit
(reset occurs, ri=0)

This cycle would continue until the point of expiration.  I've added the
"reset" so that messages with shorter expiration periods have a reasonable
chance of being transmitted.  If we ran without the reset in a situation
where the expiration period ended in 2 days, it really wouldn't take long
before ri reached a point beyond 2 days (172800s).

Regards, Matt