Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Business (Legal) analysis of ebMS 3.0

Anders,

	Jeff Turpin is working on the spec at the moment and a some major additions and changes are likely to be included in the next few weeks, completion of the Reliability section (inclusion of a pull profile) and changes to use SOAP 1.1 not 1.2.  The question I have is what level of receipt acknowledgements are you looking at as this will be a many layered protocol, the transport layer could be acknowledging, the Reliability component may be acknowledging the ebMS could be acknowledging ( we have not completed this section yet it may not be needed, we need to complete the Reliability section first), the application/business level may be acknowledging.  If your concern is the potential number of acknowledgements messages that could be sent in the worst case scenario it could be very many, this is the problem of having a flexible system that has many level of reliability.

	The issue may be having applications use what is appropriate, if they can handle the retry etc. they do not need the reliable functionality of the lower levels, but they are available.  If people want to make the process very complex and turn on all the possible levels they can and should be allowed to do this as we do not know of their reasons.  I think as long as we explain in the specification(s) what is happening it should be up to the message handler/system vendors and users to configure the runtime implementations as they wish as long as the retain interoperability to support the acknowledgement level the need.

Ian Jones
Chair OASIS ebXML Messaging Services TC

-----Original Message-----
From: Anders W. Tell [mailto:anderst@toolsmiths.se]
Sent: 19 November 2004 08:07
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-msg] Business (Legal) analysis of ebMS 3.0

Hi,

Im doing an analysis of some protocols from a business (and legal)
requirements point of view. ebMS is one of analysed protocols. One area
of concern is Acknowledge of Receipt funcitonality and rules of
evidence. Looking at the older may 3.0 draft it seems as if ebMS
proposes, for some patterns, acknowledgements 5+1+1 times which seems to
be rather many.

Could someone pointme to the latest ebMS spec so I have the latest info
available?

I would also appreciate if a clarification could be given if  ebMS
includes the ebMS Acknowledge (intermadiary and party) found in ebMS 2.0?

thanks
/anders