Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] Re: [ebsoa] Re: [ebxml-bp] Closing the gap between MSIand BSI and move on

Dale:

comments inline:

Dale Moberg wrote:

>So far I gather:
>
>1. The BSI (Business Service Interface) is not really an interface.

I would agree it is not a software interface. It is an interface however

interface =  A shared boundary.

>2. BSI is like an abstract class (or a stereotyped <<abstract>> UML
>class diagram) and not meant to directly have instances (no "new" method
>defined). It can be extended to classes that are themselves
>implementable(?) or concrete. Not clear here, but probably not relevant.

DN - agree, not relevant.  The use of the word "interface" is in a
broader semantic sense, not scoped to software architecture.  You are
right, in hindsight, this may be confusing and is maybe something to
address for the next eb SOA.  The architecture was prefaced with a
caveat that it does not contain level of detail sufficient for
implementation.

>An item named "interface" that is not an interface seems a bit
>confusing. You can imagine how some of us might have overlooked that
>subtlety.
>

>Still where is the harm in saying that a business has services that have
>interfaces? Shall we talk of these as BSI<<ebXML>> to ward off our
>apparent "abuses of notation"?
>
>It might really be fairer to allow non-architectural groups to use the
>term and acronyms involving "interface" because that is what we are
>talking about. Maybe Abstract Business Service Class for the
>architectural catch-all?

DN - I don't think that the word class is really a better solution here.
  It is not really a class - it is all things that are parts of how one
party interacts with another party.  It is a abstract concept.  Like the
open EDI reference model has FSV and BOV, perhaps the eb SOA can define
a reference model component called BSI (or whatever you chose to call it).

Duane

--
Senior Standards Strategist - Adobe Systems, Inc. - http://www.adobe.com