Subject: [Fwd: [ebxml-dev] messageID globally unique]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi
from 3.1.6.1 of the ebxml Messaging services spec:

The REQUIRED element MessageId is a globally unique identifier for each
message conforming to MessageID[RFC2822]

By this is it just meant that MessageId must be globally unique and it is up
to the application to make sure that it is or is it meant that MessageId
must be generated using the recommended algorithm from RFC 2822 as follows:

	"The message identifier (msg-id) itself MUST be a globally unique
identifier for a message. The generator of the message identifier MUST
guarantee that the msg-id is unique. There are several algorithms that can
be used to accomplish this. Since the msg-id has a similar syntax to
angle-addr (identical except that comments and folding white space are not
allowed), a good method is to put the domain name (or a domain literal IP
address) of the host on which the message identifier was created on the
right hand side of the "@", and put a combination of the current absolute
date and time along with some other currently unique (perhaps sequential)
identifier available on the system (for example, a process id number) on the
left hand side. Using a date on the left hand side and a domain name or
domain literal on the right hand side makes it possible to guarantee
uniqueness since no two hosts use the same domain name or IP address at the
same time. Though other algorithms will work, it is RECOMMENDED that the
right hand side contain some domain identifier (either of the host itself or
otherwise) such that the generator of the message identifier can guarantee
the uniqueness of the left hand side within the scope of that domain. "

I would hope for the first one (and am supposing it is the first one but
this kind of confusion can arise when moving across specs) as I have my own
globally unique id that would make more sense for our application.
--- End Message ---