Subject: pipe info in header

Pete: I forgot to answer this:

>Why must the PipeId element appear in pulled messages?  When the
>Pulling MSH requests messages, the pipe being accessed is known.  I'd
>prefer to keep message content independent of the transfer mode, if
>possible.

Pipes can be used for pushing as well as for pulling. In both cases - precisely independently from transfer mode - the pipe Id appears in the header. Even if that is redundant in case of pulling, this provides a common, transfer-independent way  to resolve the pipe being used by a message.  (another benefit of always having this in the header of the user message:  if this message raises an error, it would be logged as is with the pipe info. That info may be useful to resolve the error).

Jacques