Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] SMTP support in ebMS 3.0?

Sacha,

In your scenario - the SMEs only have issues receiving ebXML msgs - not sending.

Also - now with the new staged delivery "pull" mode - remote clients could defer delivery until they announce their presence and "pull" queued messages waiting for them.

Seems to me that the v3.0 features actually significantly reduce the need for SMTP at all here.

In fact we could probably create a pMode for this and template of CPA + "pull" message sample - so the v3.0 server would place messages in a queue and then await a request to deliver them.

Now if an SME is sending a message to another SME - then those should be routed thru an intermediary ebMS that guarantees service availability to act as the delivery server.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ebxml-msg] SMTP support in ebMS 3.0?
From: Sacha Schlegel <sacha@schlegel.li>
Date: Fri, March 30, 2007 11:45 am
To: ebXML Messaging TC <ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi ebMS Team

One question I have for the TC:

"Is SMTP supported as a first class transport protocol in ebMS 3.0"?

If not than I can see a problem for two SME's which do not have an
always on HTTP server.

With ebMS 2.0 an SME can always use SMTP to make sure he can go online,
send the ebXML message to the receivers SMTP server and go offline
again. And the receiver can go online, check with its SMTP server for
new ebXML messages, process them and go offline again. Often the SME's
have regular email (maybe from their Internet Service Providers or
someone hosting their website and doing their email) and hence would
also have an "ebXML message" email address.

Regards

Sacha