Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Addition to Gateway Conformance Profile

Dale, I think Jacques summarizes very well what I was trying to say.

I, however, still disagree on few points:

The first point is about the terminology concerning the word “Gateway”. For Dale, gateway is just an attribute (not even a role) and different MSHs (with different capabilities –meaning not necessarily interoperable–) can fulfill the gateway attribute or role. This is even against Dale’s principle that two MSHs implementing the main profile should be interoperable out of the box. I definitely push for this principle (that two MSHs implementing the main profile should be interoperable out of the box), but having different kinds of main profile (the main profile is  what we call “gateway”) is not the right idea.

The second point is, even if I accept the terminology suggested by Jacques (just for the purposes of explaining things to Dale), I would personally choose “Approach B” than “Approach A” (see Jacques email below).But, again, as I said in the first point, I don’t agree with a terminology like gateway 1, gateway 2, etc… because this creates different kinds of the gateway conformance profile. There is only one main conformance profile (what Jacques calls the baseline) and that main conformance profile directly relates to the core spec alone and not to a previous version of it.

I emphasize again that I am not against supporting version 2 in a conformance profile. Just create a second profile (not called gateway or main profile) and have version 2 supported in it.

Hamid.

From: Durand, Jacques R.
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:09 PM
To: Dale Moberg; Ben Malek, Hamid; ebXML Messaging TC
Cc: Ric Emery; Persson Ulf; Colombier Guillaume

Agree that the proposal to create a main Gateway conformance profile that requires ebMS2 backward compatibility, is not the same as requiring it in the core spec.

I think the question is more what should the "baseline"  conf profile require:

approach A: (suggested by Dale)

"Gateway One"  conformance profile (the B2B baseline): supports V2+V3

"Gateway Next" conformance profile: supports V3 only

approach B:

"Gateway One"  conformance profile (the B2B baseline): supports V3 only

"Gateway Transition" conformance profile: supports V2+V3

I tend to favor (A) : even if it sets the bar higher for the baseline, it would address major backward compatibility concerns from users, by coercing vendors to provide V2+V3 MSHs. Most of future V3 vendors are already V2 vendors, I assume. As for those communities that do not have to deal with ebMS legacy, they can always choose to use implementations conforming to Gateway Next only (e.g. some ebMS V3 open source).

Jacques