Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Reliable messaging and intermediaries

inline:

From: Sander Fieten [mailto:sander@fieten-it.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:16 PM
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

My remarks as just made on the call:

* Why use RM on each leg of the route? I don't see any advantage because a =
missing ebMS ACK will lead to a re-send of the message on the ebMS level. (=
Assuming a At-Least-Once contract). At the moment I don't see what the RM o=
n each leg gives us.

<JD> In my opinion, the ebMS synchronization signals cannot be expected to provide the same level of QoS as protocol-level RM. I would not for instance expect a synchronization exchange - back and forth - to occur for each message sent, or at every second, as the overhead of processing these is quite significant, certainly higher than sequence-based RM signals. I would not expect either to implement duplicate check at ebMS level (that would put a significant burden on endpoint MSHs that lets not forget, should ideally not need implement more than core V3 features), and rely instead on the one in RM (meaning indeed that with per-segment RM, if a duplicate is generated during the transfer through an intermediary, we wouldn't detect it). But at least using segment-level RM provides some RM QoS, that would take care of 50% of message losses/duplication. The only "end-to-end" feature that 2-tier reliability (as previously defined) provides, is message loss awareness and possible remedy. But the more of these losses are taken care of in protocl-level RM, the better.
 There is no question that 2-tier reliability as defined here is  not as good as "flat" end-to-end RM at protocol level.

* If considering special reliability behavior on the intermediaries as is t=
he case with the last one in the 2-tiered solution described by Jacques, co=
uld it be possible to use WS-RM on each leg with the ACK on the current leg=
postponed till the the intermediary receives an ACK on the next leg? I did=
n't have time to look into, just an idea.

<JD> we wish that were possible, but this Ack semantics is not the one specified in WS-RM. It is very unlikely that RM built-in available SOAP stacks will allow this...

Regards
Sander Fieten
----
Sander Fieten