Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Groups - ebMS-multi-hop-v2.doc uploaded

SOAP intermediaries are supposed to follow SOAP processing rules and
somehow know that they are intermediaries and not ultimate destinations.
Unless they are "active intermediaries" the forwarding intermediaries
have to be moderately well-behaved. Active intermediaries are, from a
security standpoint, basically indistinguishable from MITM attackers.

SOAP 1.2 section 2.7.2.1 Relayed Infoset has some detail on forwarding
intermediaries.

I would have liked MSH intermediaries to have been SOAP forwarding
intermediaries, but I don't think our current goals/aspirations can be
met by forwarding intermediaries. From the RM and WSS perspectives MSH
will (also) be constrained active SOAP intermediaries, I think.

In general, I think we should first see what we can do to meet the
scenario-based functionality, and then tidy up our conceptions about
what the intermediary MSHes are in terms of underlying specifications'
terminology.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sander Fieten [mailto:sander@fieten-it.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:18 AM
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

All,

in this document the intermediary is not explicitly defined. From the
figures and text I would assume it's a special case of a MSH. But, as
Pim did, we can also distinguish SOAP intermediaries. From what I know
about the SOAP and WS-* specs there's not much defined about such
intermediaries.

I'm wondering if we need to take these SOAP intermediaries into
consideration. And if we do, what functionality do we expect from them
and what does this require from MSH's?

Regards,
Sander

sander@fieten-it.com wrote:
> This is a new version with some changes based on remarks made during
the
> call last week.
>

>  -- Mr. Sander Fieten
>
> The document revision named ebMS-multi-hop-v2.doc has been submitted
by Mr.
> Sander Fieten to the OASIS ebXML Messaging Services TC document
repository.
>  This document is revision #1 of ebMS-multi-hop.doc.
>
> Document Description:
> A document describing definitions of, assumptions about and
requirements
> for the multi-hop scenario.
>
> View Document Details:

http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ebxml-msg/document.php?docu