Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] A first assessment of ebMS profiling for AS2

My thoughts inline...

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:02 -0800, Durand, Jacques R. wrote:
After a quick scan of  the AS2 specification, here are the main areas where I see profiling work to do, for achieving similar functions on top of ebMS3:

1- Receipts: MDN replaced by a combination of RM acks and eb:Receipt?

Definitely eb:Receipt (if that is the MDN-like mechanism that Dale spoke about that ebMS has).  Not sure how much RM the profile will support "out-of-the-box" but am open for discussion
2- MIME & HTTP bindings: mapping or keeping the AS additional MIME content-types, and HTTP headers?

No thoughts at the moment...

3- Header fields: ebMS header mapping or profiling of AS2 headers & system identifiers (AS-From...)

For endpoint resolution (AS-To, AS-From, MessageId, etc), was thinking along the lines of what WS-Addressing provides, and honestly I'm not sure how ebMS 3.0 incorporates WS-Addressing

4- security aspects: S/MIME vs XML DSig & Encryption, map AS security features to equivalent ebMS/WSS?

Definitely going with WSS here... XML DSig and Encryption constrained to X.509 tokens

5- MEP aspects: the "secure transfer loop": to be covered by appropriate (new / profiled?) ebMS MEP(s)

I think we try to use the ebMS MEP(s) as much as possible.  There's only a couple of these that we interested in "out-of-the-box"
6- error handling: new errors or error profiles needed?

No thoughts at the moment...

Ian: I believe that assisting the creation of such a profile would fall under our current charter line:

"- prepare Technical Reports, White Papers and other documents to further the consistent adoption of messaging service specifications"

The outcome being here  "technical report" defining a profiling of ebMS V3 that would support AS2 equivalent.

Am I right?

Jacques