Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Regrets and a remark on: [ebxml-msg] RE: ebms - Multi-hop Signal Routing (ebMS-Signal-Routing.doc) uploaded

Hello,

Thanks for a detailed proposal. A couple of comments:

Line 91-99 and below:  when the TC considered (1) and (2) I was not a
member, but I indicated via TC comment that this would cause routing issues
in multi-hop. The response at the time was that multi hop was not in scope.
Now it is, and now we see why it is an issue ..

Line 91-100. I think adding more business header information in Signals is a
serious option, especially if it results in intermediaries having to
implement only one routing mechanism instead of two separate ones.  Those
elements could be optional, and a single-hop profile could constrain them to
not be used or to ignore them if used. It could then qualify as an erratum.
We've already seen that achieving end-to-end security may require different
behaviour from endpoints, and there certainly is no eb:RoutingElements
element in the v3.0 Core XSD, so we will need to publish an updated schema
anyway.

Like your option 1, business header routing would require a "reverse
routing" function. For ebMS 2.0 this reverse routing is limited to reversing
eb:From and eb:To. An intermediary that forwards user messages with <From,
To, {other parameters like Service..}> should be configured to reverse route
Signal messages <To, From, {some other parameter values}>.  For most
practical use cases (B2B, G2G, SOA), that seems quite acceptable (see
separate message).

Line 188-192:  I see why you propose that the final MSH sends any Signals
synchronously.  Assuming we want the configuration for MSH B to be the same
(or as similar as possible) whether or not intermediaries are present, the
result is that an MSH A will get Signals synchronously when sending directly
(not via intermediary) and asynchronously when connecting indirectly (via an
intermediary).  OK, but a maximally transparent approach (in my
interpretation of "transparent") would allow an MSH to only change the next
hop URL and possibly TLS security to send via an intermediary instead of
directly.

Line 255-368:  this proposal has two major advantages: minimal configuration
for Router intermediaries, and it can even support dynamic routing (as
opposed to static routing tables at intermediaries).   But it seems to break
a clean distribution of routing at various levels:
Level 1:  HTTP clients and servers, routing based on next hop URLs.
Level 2:  SOAP nodes (ebMS and non-ebMS), routing based on WS-A headers.
Level 3:  ebMS nodes, routing based on ebMS headers.
For Signal messages, this proposal is somehow "in between" levels 2 and 3.

Line 359-363:  This is about using a wsa IRI not used as next hop URL but as
a key for a lookup to find a next WSA hop.  Is this standard WS-A
functionality?    Isn't the ultimate consequence of this that all
intermediaries must know about each other and having
intermediary-to-intermediary routing tables?

Reading this section somehow made me think of the "Via" and message trace
elements in version 1.0 ..

Pim