Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] follow-up on message bundling

Title: Re: [ebxml-msg] follow-up on message bundling
Some thoughts below.

Sander

On 08/04/2009 04:18, "Jacques R. Durand" <JDurand@us.fujitsu.com> wrote:

Follow-up on bundling:

Here is a short list of issues to be discussed before we start drafting anything on bundling:

1. Agree on the packaging of bundles:
- several UserMessages units in  same eb:Messaging?
- what other SignalMessage unit(s)  can go with it?

<SF>
If bundling of messages should be possible on the I-Cloud hops, i.e. on hop between intermediaries, wouldn’t it be easier if complete SOAP message could be bundled? That would prevent a lot of problems regarding question 2 below because in that case the messages themselves don’t have to have common attributes, the only requirement is that the outcome of the routing function is the same for all messages.

I don’t know if this is a viable use case and as it probably requires a new message structure / type I think we shouldn’t include it now. But maybe something to add later?
</SF>

2. What is expected to be common to all messages in the same bundle? Here is a list, by decreasing "obviousness":
- security and reliability.
- the destination. (However: in case of multihop: could a bundle be broken down by the last intermediary, and forwarded to multiple final destinations?)
- other QoS parameters? (how errors are supposed to be reported, Receipts...)
- the MEP? (could some message units belong to one-way and some to two-way? do we expect two-way responses to be bundled too? what if both parties do not have same bundling capability?)
- the MPC?
Should there be some "profiles" of bundles depending on what is common to their messages?

<SF>
I would think the most obvious property of bundled messages is the destination. Couldn’t it for example be possible that some user messages in the bundle are secured while others are not?  I also think that security and reliability are applied with a destination in mind and therefore the destination comes first.

Isn’t this similar to the effective routing input topic in the multi hop context and can’t we use a similar approach here?
</SF>

3. Can we pull a bundle?
- should the PullRequests themselves be bundled to indicate intent and ability to get bundles? SHould PullRequest signal be extended? Or could a single, normal PullRequest get a bundled (PMode config)?

<SF>
Yes, it should be possible to pull bundles. But I doubt whether it’s useful to bundle PullRequests. What would the semantics be of such a bundle of PullRequests ? Dynamic bundling based on the MPC referred by the individual PullRequests ?  That might raise security and reliability issues. So I wouldn’t favor bundling PullRequests.
</SF>

-jacques