Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Draft wording for resolution of subchannel MPC discussion, April 22 action item done.

Looking at it from a different angle:
I understand we do not want to be too specific of which hierarchical scheme is to be used.
Yet we could define the most basic common rules that we want users to build on, so that at least we don't have random URIs picked for sub-channels. From there we let users choose something intuitive enough.

Can't we say something like:

"MPCs are URIs. Different ways to indicate hierarchy in URIs exist, that can be used to indicate a channel / subchannel relation. When the MPC (y) is a sub-channel of another MPC (x), the following rules apply:
- the scheme in (x)(y) must be same (and the authority if used in one must also be used in the other with same value)
- the path of the URI of the sub-channel (y) must start with the path of of the URI of the parent channel (x)."

So these are valid pairs:

Channel: foo://example.com:8042/over?name=ferret
Subchannel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there?name=ferret

Channel: urn:example:animal:ferret
Subchannel: urn:example:animal:ferret:nose

Channel: urn:example:animal:ferret:nose.xxx
Subchannel: urn:example:animal:ferret:nose.xxx.zzz
(note: reverse pair also OK, although user unlikely to make this choice)

Channel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there
Subchannel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there?name=ferret
(note: reverse pair also OK, although user unlikely to make this choice)

Channel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there?name=ferret
Subchannel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there?name=ferret#nose
(note: reverse pair also OK, although user unlikely to make this choice)

Channel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there?name=ferret#head
Subchannel: foo://example.com:8042/over/there?name=ferret#nose
(note: reverse pair also OK, although user unlikely to make this choice)

Jacques