Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Bundling expectations on error conditions

From: Pim van der Eijk [mailto:pvde@sonnenglanz.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:10 PM
To: Moberg Dale; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

The ebMS3 Core specification states the order or processing (incoming, reverse for outgoing):  Transport, then WSS module, Reliability Binding, ebMS packaging. Figure 7 of ebMS Core Spec.  During the ebMS 3 public review (two years ago) I asked about order of header processing and that figure was what I was referred to. Nothing new.

OK, forgot that we stated that.

An ebMS3 compliant message may already contain multiple payloads.  There was never any concern about which payload caused the error. This extension is just an extension to this concept, signing additional payloads using the security of the primary message, as if the primary message had included those parts. IMHO any errors in bundling do not need to satisy an additional detailed reporting requirements that are not in the core spec.

I don’t quite understand that. The principle you referred to said that each message was treated as if it were the only message. Now the principle is that there is a root message and subordinate ones.

The point is that with the signature over all of them, we cannot tell which one is problematic. Therefore, it would be a security violation to try to pass on any of them. So they should all fail. Please consider this point

Pim