Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Compression issues

There are actually two things:
(1)  Expressing whether or not the message is compressed.  This looks like a Boolean type to me.  The name of the property "Compressed" seems to refer to this.
(2)  Expressing which compression algorithm is used.  This is more an enumeration type.  In AS4 there is only one choice, GZIP,  so expressing the selected algorithm in the message is actually not needed.
(3)  Expressing the compressed data format as a MIME type.

In section 4.2.4 of ebMS 3.0 Part 2, we define a message compression feature. (1) is encoded by the presence of a "CompressionAlgorithm" element and (2) by a particular value.  It uses values from the IANA content-coding token list, as done in section 3.5 of HTTP (IETF RFC 2616).  Some IANA content-coding values are relevant for compression:  gzip, compress, deflate, and identity.

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ebxml-msg/ebms/v3.0/part2/201004/cs01/ebms-v3.0-part2-cs01.html#__RefHeading__29502104

So here are the options:

A.  The original proposal was to stick to the property "Compressed" but add a value "true" for (1) and not include (2) in the message, but assume AS4 processors are hard-wired to use GZIP.  Absence of the property,  or presence with a value "false" means no compression.

<eb:Property name="Compressed">true</eb:Property>

B.  Rename the property to something like "CompressionAlgorithm" or "ContentCoding" and use the content-coding token values.  Absence of the property means no compression or equivalently "identity" content-coding.

<eb:Property name="CompressionAlgorithm">gzip</eb:Property>

The IANA registry of content-coding values is available at:

This works for AS4 as gzip is a value on this list.

C.  The third option is what Dale proposes.  A variant is that the property might perhaps be renamed to something like:

<eb:Property name="CompressedMediaType">application/gzip</eb:Property>

The advantage of using MIME types is that some newer compression methods have a MIME type but not (yet) a content encoding, and that there is the convention of adding new (unregistered) types using a "x-" prefix that does not exist for content coding. An example is LZMA used by 7-Zip, which has the MIME type "application/x-7z-compressed".   But this is not an issue with AS4 as it is limited to gzip.

Pim,