Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Semantics of AS4 Receipt

Dale,

"For example, the payload might be placed on a queue, but whether the payload was taken off the queue is an open question as far as the signal is concerned.)"

As I am writing for the third time now,  I am just asking for the success of the "enqueue" operation to be checked.  This does not require any new coordination protocols,  it just imposes some ordering in the structure of your application code.  Instead of something like

.... acknowledge(message)
.... deliver(message)

You would write something like

.... if deliver(message) == Success:
.... .... acknowledge(message)
.... else:
.... .... errormessage(message,'Delivery Failure')

In at least one Axway product, ebMS 2.0 acknowledgments seem to be triggered by delivery.  I know this because if a system administrator manually re-delivers a message from this product (which is an option that is useful in some exceptional situations), an acknowledgment is sent to the trading partner).    So assuming the AS4 implementation will follow this pattern,  your company's product already does what I'm asking for.

Pim

From: Moberg Dale [mailto:dmoberg@axway.com]
Sent: 30 January 2012 22:49
To: Pim van der Eijk; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

I think that AS4 NRR is now roughly  the same as AS1-3 NRR. My concern was that we not proceed beyond secured, acknowledgement of receipt (and, when security features are OK, an indication that the next processing step was engaged). I am uncertain about “successful transfer” – the MSH did its step in “processing,” but whether the next processing step was successful is not assured. ([Many requests from “end user communities” have emerged over time to add on various assurances about further processing. I don’t think we should go there with data exchange protocols. That does not prevent embedding data exchange protocols in richer coordination protocols that might add on various notification services. But I would not want to get into these additions within AS4. I think the additional protocols should be developed as applications of existing IETF protocols, maybe as an EDIINT-NG or B2B-NG interest group. I don’t think it should be an OASIS effort. Just my opinion (or using the new catch phrase), just sayin’]