Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] AS4 Section 5.1.8 Generating Receipts Profiling Rule (a) confusion

It might be that both provisions are to be required: that is, the sender of the receipt must retain the structure of the received message  and the receipt sent must contain the structure. I agree we should decide these issues before we decide on a solution for the errata (text and/or schema) that are needed.

Retention of the received message would also retain (implicitly) the structure. Normally retention of business documents is subject to various contractual and/or legal agreements-- especially how long they are retained. If that is so, the specification might be addressing what pertains to the wire format, rather than the archiving policy. It makes sense that even for receipt awareness, the receipt must contain some identifying information of the message that the receipt signals as having been received!

Somehow the current sentence reads like it got "garbled" during editing somehow.

-----Original Message-----
From: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Theo Kramer
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:33 AM
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi

Section 5.1.8 Generating Receipts Profiling Rule (a) of the AS4 spec reads as follows

When a Receipt is to be used solely for reception awareness, the sender of the Receipt MUST contain a copy of the eb:UserMessage structure of the received AS4 message.

This is open to misinterpretation as it could mean that either the receipt must contain a copy of the eb:UserMessage structure or the Sender must keep a copy of that. My thinking is that it should read as one the following

1  When a Receipt is to be used solely for reception awareness, the sender of the Receipt MUST retain a copy of the eb:UserMessage structure of the received AS4 message.

or

2  When a Receipt is to be used solely for reception awareness, the sender must include a copy of the eb:UserMessage structure of the received AS4 message in the receipt.

Comments or other suggestions ?

--
Regards
Theo