Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Pull, MPC, authorization

Hello Jacques,

Sub-channels and the Part 2 selective pulling are useful features.   But the question is about correct interpretation of behaviour of an MSH implementing the Core Spec pulling.   Also see https://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/EBXMLMSG-20.   It seems at least one product is implementing a kind of sub-channels by sub-partitioning messages within an MPC based on the "user" in the user token.   Chapters 3 and 7 of the Core Spec do not seem to be fully aligned on this, with chapter 3 not mentioning it at all.

If we want basic Pull functionality to be simple and implementable using simple mechanisms like FIFO queues,  any pull client authorized to pull from an MPC should be authorized to pull all messages in that MPC.

It would be great if we can discuss this at an upcoming TC call.

Pim

From: Jacques Durand [mailto:JDurand@us.fujitsu.com]
Sent: 03 August 2013 00:03
To: Pim van der Eijk; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

Pim:

> But if two PModes use the same MPC value and both have a Pull transport channel binding,

> then a Pull request can be ambiguous between two PModes

In multi-hop intermediaries, we described the use of “sub-channels” as a way to authorize differently the pulling from different Receivers against the same MPC. So when the MSH pulled from is an “intermediary”, this allows to disambiguate the Pull requests. This assumes the Intermediary is configured so that it can authorize Pull requests selectively (based on contained credentials) and associate each with the appropriate sub-channel.

In AS4, this capability is extended to the Sending MSH (no need to be an “intermediary” as in multi-hop) as an “additional feature”.

Can you be more specific as to what is still amiss here for your use case? (of course, this so far is only described in Part 2 and AS4 profile, not in the core spec.)

Thanks,

-jacques