egov-ms message

Subject: Personal Data Services (thread was: eGov Work Plan 2008-9)

Title: RE: [egov-ms] Groups - eGov Work Plan 2008-9 (eGMSWorkPlan2008-9.doc) uploaded

Hi:

I feel a bit of a latecomer to the debate...

Looking at the various documents (some of which I was involved with – notably on the EU eID strategy and roadmap – when I was still working with the Austrian federal Chancellery with Prof Posch and others), there is one area where I think that the OASIS eGov Member Section could have a role to play.

In the European Commission’s eId roadmap there is an item “Personal Data Ownership Model” – which raised the idea of making personal data available as an SOA-style “data service” – instead of personal data being copied (and sadly, lost) between services, make it available through secure brokered services, on demand, and according to properly authenticated requests (hence the link back with eID). The item is continually flagged up, both within the STORK project and in the Commission roadmap, but to date there doesn’t seem to be anything moving forward.

I wrote a paper on the issue at the time, available at: www.pensive.eu/uid/0081 along with a slide deck (http://www.xmlbystealth.net/file/153.pdf) that I used in several presentations on the issue.

Furthermore, as the STORK presentation makes clear, it is not just secure ID for individuals but also for businesses, that is at stake. As a company, we are interested in sharing key company information assets when needed (for example in tending procedures) but we are uncomfortable with the ease with which electronic copies of key company data are circulated and stored. Such an “on demand” model would also satisfy these concerns (as well as being more secure and efficient).

One idea floated has been to establish an OASIS TC to propose a standard for this (either scoped more broadly to bring on board more people concerned with data services more generally; or specifically on personal data services), that could subsequently serve as input to (and satisfy a requirement for) the eID roadmap and the STORK project in particular. A number of larger OASIS members expressed interest in taking this further (we even drafted a “strawman” charter, www.xmlbystealth.net/file/232.doc) but we lacked a “champion” – maybe the eGov MS could help?

Any comments and feedback welcome

Regards,

Peter

WebSiteLogo.jpg

Peter F Brown

Managing Director

Pensive S.A.

Supporting the Information-Driven Enterprise

Pensive:

-  Thoughtful Goals

-  Thoughtful People

-  Thoughtful Solutions

t:

+32.2.346.4866

m:

+32.472.027.811

e:

peter@pensive.eu

w:

www.pensive.eu

Pensive S.A. is registered in Belgium, N° 895.677.610 (RPM Brussels)

Registered Office: Avenue de Mercure 13/13, B-1180 Brussels

Correspondence/Visits: Avenue Brugmann, 382, B-1180 Brussels

This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or distribute its contents to any other person.