egov-ms message

Subject: RE: [egov-ms] OASIS eGOV MS : NEW GUIDANCE DOCUMENTS

Brilliant insight Tony. Thanks very much. Much deeper than can be gleaned from external sources:-)

Cheers
Colin
-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Rutkowski [mailto:tony@yaanatech.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 March 2010 10:29 a.m.
To: Colin Wallis
Cc: Daniel.E.Turissini.(Affiliate).ORC1000000106.ID; John Borras; egov-ms@lists.oasis-open.org

On 3/16/2010 4:33 PM, Colin Wallis wrote:
> Look at Lesson 1 and Lesson 3 again for example. Do you not see the US experience reflected here?

The US problem is significantly exacerbated by legal
jurisdiction issues and related historical decisions.
I was at the FCC for about 12 years during some of
the history.

The US has this strong division between public
infrastructure and services (meaning available to
the public) and governmental (largely Federal).
A number of Federal agencies attend to the care
and feeding of their domain, especially the multiple
pieces of DOD and GSA.  An entirely separate
"independent agency" - the FCC - is responsible
for everything non-Federal.  It even reports to
the legislative branch of the government, and not
the executive.

To make matters worse, the FCC beginning with
the original Computer I proceeding in 1966 made
the (in retrospect) profound mistake of not asserting
its jurisdiction over anything other than radio and
common carrier services.  Cable has peeked in and
out of that mix.  In a rational world, one would have
expected a FCC like entity to have dealt with security,
infrastructure protection, etc, for all information
infrastructure/services provided to the public.  Instead,
they played dead and hired ever larger number of lawyers
and getting rid of engineers as they debated "angels on
a head of a pin" kinds of issues concerning jurisdiction.

That proclivity tilted back slightly over the past couple
of years in the utterly bizarre area of "network neutrality"
in a foolhardy attempt to control how transport providers
manage their networks for "neutrality."  Even today,
the only vision they evince is pushing out bandwidth
to rural areas.  For the FCC, it's all a "black box" for
to diddle with to meet the latest lobbying craze from
what's known as K-street.

On a slightly separate note, my current admonition as
to e-government security is simply to enter "https://";
and some government website.  You can quickly
separate the clueless from the rest.  If you get an
EVcert, they get extra points!

cheers,
tony

====