egov-ms message

Subject: RE: [egov-ms] OASIS eGOV STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING - PAPERS

Colin,

I like this and sincerely wish the EU (as EU, looking at the needs of EU institutions and cross-border EU services) would indeed take such an approach.

Of course, part of the problem is precisely that it is difficult to determine what “EU standardisation policies” are as they can fall into any number of categories:

-          Standards that are explicitly developed by the European standards system in response to a directive from the European Commission and which are ‘binding’ on all, at national and EU levels;

-          Standards that are assimilated or otherwise adopted at a European level by the ESOs in order to establish a common EU approach but which may originate in a national standard, likewise binding;

-          An acceptance at the EU level of an existing national standard or, troubling to many, acceptance of several national standards – and not always 100% compatible with each other and which causes many problems when trying to make them binding across the EU

-          Standards and specifications approved by specific European Commission departments and which are binding on the EU institutions alone and/or on projects funded by the EU and involving member state administrations.

I think that these distinctions also need to be clearer so that there is either a “hierarchy of norms” or the clear application of the “subsidiarity principle” (‘as much centralisation as necessary, as much decentralisation as possible’).

Peter

From: Colin Wallis [mailto:Colin.Wallis@dia.govt.nz]
Sent: 12 September 2011 18:39
To: 'Steve Mutkoski (LCA)'; John Borras; egov-sc@lists.oasis-open.org; egov-ms@lists.oasis-open.org

Many thanks Steve

It looks like a really useful conference. I for one would really love to know what the EU’s ICT standardisation policies are…and no doubt others using profiles of OASIS specs would as well.

If something like ‘STORK SAML’ was any example to go by, one can’t help but get the sense of potentially avoidable ‘wheel re-inventing’ in the way the profile is loosely based on SAML, but unlikely to be capable of interoperation with other SAML profiles, even if vendors could be convinced to implement the features in their products.  Individual member states seem to have a far more pragmatic view to profiling, which is good news of course.

Wouldn’t it be great if the EU came out with a policy like..

‘We will profile existing specs and not create our own wherever possible. When we do, we make an explicit choice between aggregation and composition, (preferring aggregation so that when X falls over, Y doesn’t fall with it).  We will keep the existing open specification schemas intact, so when we add our EU requirements, we do that as ‘sub containers’ so that the existing schema still parses successfully’

Cheers

Colin