egov-services message

Subject: RE: [egov-services] FW: EGov services sub-committee charter as ofFebruary 10, 2003

In the same vein, Jeremy Rifkin in his book "The Age of Access" raised a
number of issues in access, identity, access to intellectual properties, the
forces of government and commerce, etc. There are a large number of
unanswered issues in this age of access. Some of which companies like
Microsoft and AOL have gained strong foot holds. What kind of world will it
be? What kind of services will be available to citizens? How about defining
and maintaining cyber social commons and intellectual commons where no one
owns anything. Is that a government service?
-TT

-----Original Message-----
From: Lewis, Diane [mailto:Diane.Lewis@usdoj.gov]
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 6:21 PM
To: 'John.Borras@e-Envoy.gsi.gov.uk';
'egov-services@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: RE: [egov-services] FW: EGov services sub-committee charter as
of February 10, 2003

thanks John for your input... agree we should look to the future... an
assumed target of e-gov that is based on interoperability of processes and
data sharing.

i am reading a book called Smart Mobs.. the next social revolution by Howard
Rheingold
a sub title is transforming cultures and communities in the age of instant
access...

i would suggest to you and other members of the services sub-committee that
if we do turn to a more futuristic vision of eGov services then each of us
must shed our preconceptions... i have found in limited discussion with egov
TC members and reading the TC chat to date that the existing
nation/state/paper-based processes and if you will "legacy" of 20th Century
IT paradigms still predominant the OASIS TC discussions...

so to follow-up on your input that we need to turn to a 21st Century frame
of reference... i provide some factoids.... i have just learned in my
reading to initiate an active and imaginative discussion  about charter
content...

"Industry analyst Gartner Consulting predicts that 40 percent of adults and
75 percent of teenagers will use wearable computing devices by 2010.

Location aware services have been growing since ... 1999 providing reaqltime
maps and directions on handheld devices .. The US government has ordered all
telephones sold in the US to become location-aware by 2005, for the prupose
of improving emergency services.

Cities are places of massive information flows, networks, and conduits and
myriad transitory informatoin exchanges.  Enthusiasts of digital cities are
trying to understand the dynamics of computationally pervasive cities
populated by movile communicators in order to consciously design
architectures that promote conviviality as well as safety and convenience.

Do e-governments deliver new kinds of vital data that people put to use
quickly is that the actual service e-governments will provide through the
first half of the 21st Century??"  the   state of California has created the
Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society
(CITRIS) to deisn pervasive, secure , energy-efficient, and diaster-proof
information systems, to deliver new kinds of vital information.."

it seems so far from my reading that the forms of government as we
understand them and implement them in today's world will continue to evolve
into interconnected networks of culture and shared information resulting in
social groupings that cannot be imagined today... or can they....?   the
future services and data mappings to underpin these interconnected networks
of communication and interaction will be defined as e-government services...
the human mark-up language specification is one example of a 21st century
standard.... it will reorganize social interaction.... what type of
governance mechanism(s) are part of that social interaction.. need to be
determined....

i hope by sharing my "tomorrow's world" thoughts... with the sub-committee
each of us will sit back and reflect on all the possibilities and the
opportunity we have as a "unit" to begin shaping that tomorrow... today...
diane