egov-services message

Subject: HumanMarkup - Russell Ruggierro

Our colleague Russ has shared with me some of his research. I in turn would like to share his work with this group.   diane

Dear
Diane

I hope all is well. Mr. Owen Ambur was kind enough to post this document on the following Government related URL:

http://xml.gov/index.asp#new

Please let me know how I may help the effort.

Sincerely
Russ

DL response:

Russ,

just browsed your document.. will go back as soon as time permits and study it further...  given your knowledge/expertise plus your knowledge of the DHS mission/services... please consider spending sometime applying the simple model i describe below to one or two of the services...(lines of business for DHS).  especially intriguing is the data exchange and intrusion detection.

also there was an infoworld article titled: Des BA beat BI? by Jeff Angus dated August 29, 2003  "new predictive business analytics tools mean businesses can do much more than react to the vagaries of chance.  "Unlike BI, BA software can examine every possible interqaction, sometimes finding relationships analysts wouldn't have seen if the software was limiting the fields it imported."    Doesn't DHS want to be forward looking.... not sure if you address this aspect in your paper.   lets stay in touch... and thanks for your work... diane

<<MODEL

Government Health space---

Service/government:  example Prescriptions (UK Governance model)

1. Fulfillment:
Objective to be achieved to fulfill the citizen's need or request for prescribed drug(s). "e-gov dispensary"

2. Integration:
Objective to be achieved services seamlessly integrated with service applications to make customer experiences simple convenient.

Diagnostic service:
source: specific healthcare provider (e.g. public clinic or specific authorized practitioner
source: supplier drug availability for delivery/shipping

3. Interaction
Objective to be achieved fulfill citizen need/request; provides user interface/transaction moduloes/execution
Payment service:
transmit payment information
execute payment method
benefit
credit
debit
verify/authorize payment

4. Customization:
Objective to be achieved common routines, preferences and needs automatically refreshed based oin specific citizen (privacy issues?)

Service: tailored citizen "dispensary account"
refill
new
expiration date
reference to dosage
provider reference

5. Self-service:
Objective to be achieved allow citizen to review accounts, monitor transactions, edit profiles, schedule pick-ups, adjust, return,k computer mediates rather than interpersonal transactions.

Service:  allow citizen to request/order from dispensary source one or more prescriptions

monitor drug use profile
edit order
edit profile

6. Search engine:
Objective to be achieved allow citizen access to knowledge-base search engine/multiple search methods; reasoning decision trees; category searches; semantic web services connection

Service:  Access Drug Consumer Knowledge-base
Drug research
Drug supplier
Drug provider
Drug benefits
Drug hazards
Drug selection

i believe this kind of high level break out should be developed for each governments list of key services provided to citizens of particular nations.   this breakout will be the frame for development of web service technical specifications and data reference models.

example of identified government key services (U.K./U.S.)
Benefits and personal tax (UK)
Retirement pensions applications (UK)
Tax credit applications (UK)

Revenue collection  (US)
Debt collection (US)
Tax collection (US)

Education (UK/US)
Student loan applications/repayments(UK)
schools applications(UK)
teacher services(UK)
University applications (UK)
External training and education (US)
advising and consulting (US)
promote education  (US)

there are more spaces and service mappings for each of these countries.. i also have our Danish colleague's portal listing of Danish government services/activities to citizens.

you can see even in these examples the differences in how governments perceive the government to citizen services based on existing governance models....   interesting findings.

hope this information is helpful to your work... i will try to spend more time in the coming weeks prior to the next egov TC conference call on these matters.  thanks again diane>>