Subject: [egov] VS: OASIS E-GOV TC: 1ST MEETING PAPERS

OASIS e-Gov Technical Committee

In his proposal for the work programme for OASIS e-GOV TC John Borras has proposed that the e-GOV TC should set-up sub-committees and as one of them a sub-committee whose task would be to articulate the potential use of ebXML and web services by the governments.

In the following I try to describe the possible output of that sub-committee

1) The output should be aligned with the e-GOV TC charter
e-Gov TC Charter proposed by John Borras
- Provide a forum for governments internationally to voice their needs and requirements with respect to XML-based standards which can be handed off to relevant OASIS TCs (if they exist)
- Provide a mechanism for the creation of best practice documents relative to the adoption of OASIS specs/standards within Governments internationally
- Promote the adoption of OASIS specs/standards within Governments which could include the creation of implementation-oriented pilot projects to involve software vendors and participating government agencies to demonstrate the use of OASIS specs/standards
- Work with other OASIS channels (e.g. XML.org for schema registry and/or information portal), act as a clearinghouse of information related to applicable specs/standards as well as activities and projects being conducted by Governments in the adoption of XML-based systems and standards

2) e-Gov ebXML Subcomittee Background
To cover the various G2G, G2B, G2C transactions and the documents, events and roles within these, government agencies in all tiers are now developing XML vocabularies and higher level constructions (i.e. Aggregate BIEs, CPPs, CPAs in ebXML terminology)
To give two examples of this work:
- In Finland we are now working with a project which aims to bring 700 government forms into a public ebXML registry. We use bottom-up approach but try to do this in alignment with the ebXML Core Component Specification. We create multilingual BIEs, and plan create CPPs and CPAs to be able later to describe a web services based healthcare time reservation system, for example
- In UK a local community portal has identified and defined over 900 different interactions between local authorities and citizens or businesses. This is a bottom up project as well. There must be tens if not hundreds projects like these going on globally
We must understand that public administration does not have any reason not to cooperate with standardisation organisations nor with other tiers of government or with other governments in their XML vocabulary work. On the contrary, establishing public registries that can be accessed by anyone and building them according to international standards is in line with the interests of every government. But the work has already begun and it is bottom-up.

3) My proposal for the e-Gov ebXML Subcomittee Charter and it's Relationship to other OASIS TCs
3a) The basic mode of e-Gov ebXML work must be:  practical near-term solution to the XML business document interchangeability problem for government agencies who are building e-services. We must be able to deliver a practical solution in a rather short time.
3b)e-Gov ebXML should adopt the UBL-type of bottom up approach, implementing the already existing knowledge the public administration professionals have of government services (starting with the already ongoing projects),  using the already existing XML libraries like UBL and their working methods as a start and aligning the work with the ongoing semantic definition work in UN/CEFACT
3c) Our target should not be to create a new "Universal Language for Government e-Services" but to work together with the already existing and hopefully converging projects and help them to complement the existing set of libraries with such elements that are relevant for building government e-services
3d)It is necessary to give out a coherent determined message: In alignment with the efforts of UN/CEFACT to enhance information interoperability and together with other OASIS groups like UBL and ebXML CPPA, e-Gov ebXML work will be part of the synthesis that in the near future will help citizens, businesses and government agencies of any size to interact, exchange legally valid documents and offer and use services over the internet in a standard way.
Baltimore December 12th 2002
Jouko Salonen, CEO, Republica Ltd
P.S. I might not be able to read my e-mails all the time while I am in Baltimore, but if you want to discuss this proposal with me before the e-GOV TC meeting please dial +358-403011106 to reach my GSM