Subject: RE: [egov] RE: A proposal regarding the Language TranslationSubcommittee

Title: Message

I wanted to bring up a couple of points regarding the potential "Language Translation" Subcommittee.  During our first TC meeting last month, we briefly discussed how it wasn't only language that we were addressing in this proposed SC, but the broader context of culture, social, and even ideological differences between governments, government agencies, and citizens.  I believe that we proposed considering it within a broader umbrella of 'Internationalization'.

The HumanMarkup TC is specifically looking at many of these issues.  In the broader range of services, one of our special interests is in establishing diplomatic services.  We are in the process of forming a Diplomatic Communications subcommittee within the HumanMarkup TC partly to this effect, to explore the codification of some of the protocols used within these communications processes.

I would actually be willing to represent interests pertaining to these issues, as well as broader language and translation issues, through both my work at the Fund for the City of New York and the HumanMarkup TC.  Although the spot of chair is currently open, it may be too early for me to consider a role such as this due to my own schedule.  However, I would certainly be able as a representative for this arena to ensure that traction is made in coordinating these activities as well.

From my standpoint, it is also very important that work in this arena proceed hand-in-hand with both the work on the upcoming Diplomatic Communications SC within HumanMarkup, as well as with ensuring we gather representation from international diplomatic agencies within the eGov TC.   From the standpoint of the effort as a whole, it seems important that features relating to cross-cultural translation, linguistic and otherwise, are taken into account from the onset.

---
Ranjeeth Kumar Thunga
(917) 494-1684 (m)
rkthunga@humanmarkup.org
HumanMarkup TC - Chair
Fund for the City of New York - Technology Consultant

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 7:34 AM
To: John.Borras@e-Envoy.gsi.gov.uk; Reynolds, Peter; Tony.Jewtushenko@oracle.com
Cc: egov@lists.oasis-open.org

Please excuse my brief interjection. I don't usually post to lists in which I don't actively participate. However, in this case I suspect you might benefit from some relatively objective  advice. I think you would be well-advised to choose an idependent OASIS member rather than a member-company representative for chairing a subcommittee where you can't field a government representative.

I will return to monitoring silently.

Ciao,
Rex