Subject: RE: [egov] OASIS E-GOV TC - DELIVERABLES

John,

Yikes!

I think we DO need serious argument on this before we go
any further.

I believe this approach is fundamentally flawed.

Talk about handcuffing people - this is just wildly ugly.

Plus we have no authority or status here - nor can we understand
the local needs people may have - and that is KEY - nor can
we judge the soundness of local XML syntaxes in context.

I would strongly argue we do not take this approach.  The better
way IMHO is to develop matrix where the needs and success
factors are identified.   And then show in a matrix which
industry groups are embracing and adopting those.

What managers chiefly need is not shoe-horning into some
technology approach at the XML level that may be wildly
un-suited for their needs.  Example - someone starts using
XBRL when infact they could be using an EDI transaction - costing
millions in deployment costs that are completely not needed.

Instead managers need to know what are the business parameters
and how to manage the infrastructure components to ensure
that the business goals are met.  Focusing in on XML syntax devices
will guarantee that they fail.  That IMHO is like the very tip of the
tail wagging the whole dog.

Also - I've seen other agencies having success with an
approach where they instead designate the domain stakeholder
and look at what that organization is bringing from the business
angle.

So if I want to know about US postal address delivery - I'd
expect the USPS to be the place to get that cross-section of
options - where I can understand how to interface with the USPS,
the ROI, and then the very last piece of this is derived into XML.

If I want to know about interfacing to convenience stores - then the
NRF is the stakeholder there, and so on.

But over arching above this is the need to show managers a
consistent approach - a business roadmap to success.

A matrix with XML syntax flavours in it as the "solution roadmap"
is counterproductive.   It's like publishing a catalogue of spare
parts in answer to the question - "How do I run a successful
automobile parts supply operation?".

But anyway - aside from that - its a great idea ; -)

At least behind each syntax is some of the stakeholders, and
the paradigms that they are embracing (or not) as the case
maybe.

Thanks, DW.

Message text written by INTERNET:john.borras@e-envoy.gsi.gov.uk
>We talked a lot about the need for matrices of services and standards, and

I believe that is ultimately what we should as a TC be aiming to produce
and publish - a set of matrices for Services/Functions, Infrastructures
etc that show for each particular aspect of e-government our recommended
standards.  This would be invaluable to governments, particularly those
that are new to the e-government work, and those communities of
governments like us in the EU who are looking to join up on service
delivery.  Clearly we cannot mandate these standards but it would send
clear messages to governments around the world, and their IT suppliers,
which are the standards they should give serious consideration to.
<