Subject: Re: e-Gov Comments wanted

Anders

As you say this is definitely a controversial issue.  But it is one that I think we should not and must not seek to address within the e-Gov TC.   The resolution is very much down to national approaches and these will vary a great deal.  Here in UK national IDs and single citizen cards are a long way off, if ever.   Any implementation will require political will rather than technical feasibility.

However this may be worth raising with the EC's IDA Programme in Brussels as they are seeking to set interoperability standards to support pan-european services, and  this issue could come into play in the discussions on what those service are and how they should be deployed.  You may wish to share your thoughts with the project leader Christian.Devillers@cec.eu.int.

Regards,
John

"Anders Rundgren" <anders.rundgren@telia.com>

28/03/2003 06:46