Subject: Re: [egov] Tactics on data alignment / standardization

Eliot Christian wrote:

> At 09:46 PM 7/23/2003 -0400, David RR Webber wrote:
>
>> Carl,
>>
>> On quick inspection you deserve an award for the most complex
>> XML application I have seen, and also for using the most
>> complex parts of the W3C specifications.
>

> To me, it seems the GML approach is to use XML Schema as a tool for
> representing semantic relationships as well as data type syntax. So,
> a "polygon" is not merely defined in terms of its syntax as a set of
> coordinate pairs, but it is derived from a chain of abstract types
> that mark higher levels of geometric abstraction. That's not wrong
> in itself, expect that it makes the whole structure fiendishly
> difficult to handle and very obtuse to understand. IMHO, GML
> could employ a simple XML Schema type system supplemented by
> an ISO 11179 semantic register.

The idea of leveraging a registry (I assume you meant "semantic
registry" in above statement) to handle some of the complexity makes
good sense. ebXML Registry standard is based upon ISO 11179 specification.

What may be a similar example is that the OpenGIS consortium <http://www.opengis.org> has been using the ebXML Registry Information Model specification for more than a year now to implement catalogue services for the geospatial domain

Could Eliot or Carl look into the state of that work and determine
whether a similar approach could be employed for managing GML data. You
may contact Richard Martell mailto:rmartell@galdosinc.com for more
information.

--
Farrukh