Subject: RE: XML for Air Traffic Control

Mr. Paielli,

Thank you for your inquiry. Though the xml.org egov focus area site is still "under construction" we can hopefully provide you with the "XML" resources you seek through the OASIS e-government list as well as U.S. government's xml.gov site  http://xml.gov/.

The OASIS e-gov technical committee membership includes XML experts from both public and private sector worldwide.  I am copying the e-gov membership so they may respond directly to your inquiries and provide you with any specific resources that are applicable to Air Traffic Control.

Here in Wash DC the xml.gov site provides a variety of XML related papers/sources with emphasis on the current federal XML environment here in the U.S.

I would suggest as a starting point that you check out the following resources.  From your inquiry i am thinking some background info on XML use from a federal government perspective might be helpful given there are existing initiatives that your work might benefit from.

http://xml.gov/documents/completed/bah/registryBusinessCase.htm#_Toc19694607

http://www.silosmashers.com/pdfDocuments/Sall-How-Gov-Uses-XML.pdf

http://xml.gov/documents/in_progress/developersguide.pdf

I am sure my fellow XML colleagues will respond to this message with additional suggestions/resources to support your effort.

I hope this initial response is of value to you. There are lots of factors to consider when launching an XML enabled project.

I look forward to a continued dialogue to learn more about your work and provide additional resources applicable to your needs and the needs of others through the e-gov focus area xml.org.

Diane Lewis,
OASIS eGov TC Member (acting editor)
U.S. Department of Justice
Washington, DC