Subject: Re: [egov] Groups - Taxonomy glossary 2004-06-14 uploaded

Maewyn.Cumming@cabinet-office.gsi.gov.uk wrote:

> Duane (and Einstein)
>
> I don't think anyone ever meant us to all use one taxonomy -
> 'harmonising taxonomies' means (as far as I can remember) getting
> multiple taxonomies to work together, rather than merging them into
> one entity. As you say, there isn't one taxonomy that will do the job
> for us all (and we would never agree on the terms anyway!).
>
> I don't remember 'harmony reconciliation' - its a bit vague - but
>  'taxonomy reconciliation' may be valuable. The problem is that we may
> be just creating more terms rather than clarifying what we mean by the
> ones we have.

AFAIR, We agreed that:

a) the term, "Reconciliation" was preferred to the term "Harmonization"

b) the term, "Vocabulary" was preferred to the term "Taxonomy"

Thus we felt that the complex term "Vocabulary Reconcilliation" best
reflected the concept of
reconciling differences between similar terms in different vocabularies.

--
Regards,
Farrukh