Subject: ebXML, Hutchinson Holdings, Terror Threats and Container Shipment Tracking

I just saw the peice on 60 Minutes tonight - where the CEO of Hutchinson, who had
44% of container traffic worldwide - is desperately looking for support from
governments to help turn around the current vulnerability situation.  Having been
ignored here in the USA.

Container shipment, EDI and XML is something I know a good deal about having
worked on various US Customs initiatives and commercial implementations.
This includes the metrics of interdiction of contraband shipments through the
use of advanced AI technologies looking at those shipment patterns.

This looks like a golden opportunity to leverage the ebXML Hermes ebMS as-is
today - to provide a ubquitous and low-cost solution.   Hermes ebMS is already
doing Dangerous Good manifesting for Hong Kong (the world's busiest port) -
and I've done a technical evaluation of that code base - that shows it is well
suited to task for the typical Java based small shop.

I'm currently working on enhancing Hermes to include CPA management with
ebXML Registry and jCAM templates for content validation of payloads for
a different application.

OSDL is working on adding ebXML to LINUX.

This is all low-budget stuff right now.  If people are really serious about coping
and responding to the terror threat of Trojan containers - time now to put a
task force in place to take this excellent jump start of an enhanced Hermes
and deploying it world-wide to provide a container tracking system.

If Hutchinson jump started this - with help from Governments in Asia, Europe
and US - this could be easily rolled out aggressively over the next 18 months
to include a massive chunk of the worlds container traffic.  Notice - the more
you automate the high volume shippers - the more time you have to devote
to the potential detection of rogue shipments.

Is this TC up for creating a SC urgently to looking into this and if so what
governments will supply staff to analysize the tracking needs and come
up with a plan that combines early lightweight rapid deployment of
basic functionality - to be followed by increasingly sophisticated
aspects from there?  Can we count of Hong Kong to help orchestrate
this with Hutchinson?

A blue-print for this is possibly this document:

Yesterdays events in North Korea need only serve here to remind of
the urgency.

Thanks, DW