Subject: Re: EPR and e-Folders

You are welcome to join the meeting on January 13th. We can also make a special arrangement for the TC. Enclosed an invitation with better English on page 3.
----- Original Message -----
From: Tor Haug
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:45 PM
Subject: EPR and e-Folders

OASIS e-Government TC – new standard for e-Folder

David RR Webber, asked me to inform you about the standardization work we are doing in the field of e-Folders and EPR:

I think it is a great idea for you to do some draft e-Folders ideas and post them - you will get great feedback - and strong attention for EPR.and e-Folders

Just remember though keep it really really really simple - peel the onion one layer at a time.

 Less is more.  They will appreciate you sending just an outline first.  Then updating that as it develops.

 Also - big advantage of smaller peices - is eventually they will read it - after you have posted the tenth posting with

new updates...

I am not sure my message is simple enough – lets I am what’s happen. I am observer in the eGov TC. If this will be of interest for the TC I will join as a full member:

Please read the attached document before you read this comments:

The e-Folder standard includes much more than some single metaphors.

A standard for construction of e-Folders does not exist. Why not? The only reason is that nobody has thought of the possibilities before. I myself have worked with standardizing of the elements in electronic processes (EPR). The brother and sister of EPR is e-Folders. EPR demands standardization of the structure and functionality in e-Folders. The EPR standard includes exactly the same as the standard for the e-Folders.

I am quite sure that standardizing of e-Folders is necessary in order to achieve organizational interoperability. The structure of a folder must be the same for all organizations involved. The functions in the folder must also be the same. E.g. the folder must include workflow, the functions in work flow must be the same and not differ from one to another.

If I am right the e-Folder standard must interest both standard organizations and all organizations working with eGov. e-Folders seems to be a common way of presentation information and helping tools in many applications.

In the enclosed invitation there are some simple examples underlying the needs of standardization.

Some days ago I had 3 interesting calls:

-             One was with Trond-Arne Undheim in Brussels. He works for R&D within eGov in EU. I tried to convince him of how necessary it is to standardize structure and functionalities in e-Folders. I believe he accepted that. We also discussed standardizing on functions. I gave him one example – functions in workflow. This area represents chaos, a lot of proprietary solutions and difficulty of getting acceptance for standards. I believe:

-             If we isolate the functions the functions in itself – it will not be difficult to achieve agreement on functions to be standardized

-             If OASIS eGov TC can delivered this functions as freeware – we can hope that eGov in European countries decided to follow the standard.

This is just one example – there are many others

-             The next two calls had to do with e-Folders. Erik Lillevold works for an EU project with the aim of following the development and the process of establish a new law. Håvard Hegna at Norsk Regnesentral told me about another EU project – to make it easier for citizens to move from one country to another. Both projects would have advantages of standardized folders with freeware.

Let’s say that an e-Folder Workshop based on the software components exist. It would be much easier to carry through both projects using the Workshop as a development arena.

I wonder: How many projects do EU have which could take advantages on an e-Folder Workshop? I believe that number is large. It would be an excellent R&D project to find out the potential. We will gladly help the R&D group in the Commission to carry through this project. And it will not take long time – and cost much money.

I hope to get acceptance both in Brussels and among OASIS eGOV TC for the need of an e-Folder standard.

The main problem is financing the work. Without money we can either travel or establish and work through alliances.

The basic standards will also be the basis for establishing sector standards with workshop for the sector. E.g.: e-Construction, e-Healthcare, e-Community

Tor Haug  +47 9005 0506