Subject: RE: [egov] The i2010 initiative of the European Commission

Just a quick follow up, at Joe’s request and before finishing my suitcase…

The two are connected, but there is considerable internal politics involved, hence my comment that I have made enquiries. Briefly, two different European Commission DGs, or “Directorates General” (= department = ‘ministry’) are involved:

- the DG Information Society broadly leads on the policy front, promoting the eEurope programme and feeding into the Research & Development programme. Viviane Reding is the Commissioner that heads up this DG, and made this week’s speech. The DG is very close to the policy makers at national government level, and influence the strategic direction of the EUs work;

- the DG Enterprise leads on all aspects of economic activity in the EU that promotes innovation and competitiveness, and leads on the IDA programme mentioned in the December post (IDA= Interchange of Data between Administrations). IDA has transformed into IDABC (..Business and Citizens) as from this year, and it funds inter-administration projects promoting interoperability, through opportunity studies, prototypes and pilots.

That IDA is promoting an interoperability framework is a step forward, although everyone involved recognises there is much work to be done. I should shortly be more heavily involved in providing policy and project support to pursue IDABC objectives.

Reding’s speech is significant as it hints both at an important statement of policy, and may be seen as something of an olive branch and appeal for cooperation between two DGs that have had some turf wars over work to be done, especially in the field of eGovernment.

I hope that helps a little. Gotta dash….

Peter