Subject: e-Folder

e-Gov members

Some months ago I send you some information about our work with standardizing the structure and functionality in electronic folders. To day I follow up with an executive summary of our work. The purpose of sending this to you is to establish alliances with national eGov organizations.

Electronic folders

will be used in accelerating tempo in many new areas. That’s sensible. Many applications can be wrapped into electronic folders.

It’s both possible and desirable to standardize how the folders should be constructed (structure) and the functions the folders should consist of. Such a standardizing is the basis for interaction within and between organizations, integration of data systems, re-use of software components and many other advantages.

Interaction

Is a basic necessity in e-Government (or eGov). This is technologically called interoperability. The e-Folder standard is a foundation for interoperability. If the possibilities shall be obtained all systems using e-Folder  must be based on the same standard.

If this shall be a possible and realistic e-Folder must be an open standard, accompanied by freeware and open source. .

Objectives for the project

·         International organizations which have interoperability on their agenda shall support e-Folder. .

·         Get acceptance in actual standard organizations that e-Folder as a common standard for e-Folder will facilitate their own work

·         Various business sectors will decide to develop industry standards on the basis of e-Folder. This assumes that main actors in the sector see and accept the essential advantages of applications based on e-Folder.

·         National organizations responsible for eGov accept that successful eGov development assume e-Folder

Looking forward to hear from you
Tor Haug
tor.haug@c2i.net
Langs Linjen 33
1169 Oslo
tlf +47 2229 6714

mob +47 9005 0506

EPR e-Folder Executive Summary Mar 7 - eng.doc