Subject: Call for chair election, and conference call 23 May

Members of the OASIS e-Government TC:

     As you know, after an internal reassignment John Borras has found it
necessary to resign his role as chair of this committee.  John continues to
serve as a member of our Board of Directors, and as chair of the OASIS
Election Services TC;  we deeply appreciate the leadership he has provided
to the important work of this e-Gov committee as well as those other
continuing contributions.  In order for this committee to move forward, we
must elect a successor TC chair.
     The e-Goverment TC has completed several of its early planned
deliverables relating to early-emerging technical issues (such as use of
data core components use), but its workplan includes providing important
guidance to governments about the use of standardized methods for many
other key functions, such as semantic interoperability and web
services.  Several additional proposals already have been made to the TC
for future work within its scope. .
     In order to ensure the smooth continuation of this work, we would like
to take the following steps.

     First, the rules allow me as TC administrator for OASIS both to call
meetings and to conduct the election of a new chair.   I declare
nominations open for that role, and am pleased to report that Mr Harm Jan
van Burg has accepted a nomination.  Mr van Burg is a senior policymaker
for the Netherlands Ministry of Finance who (like Mr Borras) has
significant leadership experience in global, European and national
e-government initiatives, and is the co-chair of the OASIS TaxXML TC.   We
appreciate the willingness of Mr van Burg and his ministry to make his time
available.  OASIS staff have made several inquiries about other potential
candidates as well.
     Of course, election of a replacement chair is a matter for the
committee to decide.  TC Members are welcome to nominate or suggest others,
and should do so to me directly or to this list.  However, if I am aware of
no other nominees, then I will plan to conduct an election ballot.  This
committee often has conducted its business by e-mail and web-based ballots,
due to its wide geographic distribution.  Accordingly, failing objections,
I plan to open a ballot on 16 May 2005, closing 23 May 2005, which will
list each declared candidate as well as permit write-in nominations.  In
the interim, I will review the TC records to confirm that the voting status
of each member is properly reflected in the roster.
     This timing would allow some informal recruiting and future planning
for the TC to occur at the upcoming OASIS Open Standards Day on 24 May 2005
in Amsterdam:
http://www.xtech-conference.org/2005/oasisosd.asp, adjacent to
IDEAlliance's XTECH conference (formerly XML Europe) that week.  This event
often enjoys strong attendance from e-government-oriented participants.

     Second, in connection with that event, we would like to call a
telephonic meeting of the TC, to discuss the TC's progress, leadership and
current work agenda.  My colleague Pim van der Eijk has offered to convene
this session from Amsterdam and I will attend (telephonically) from Los
Angeles.

     Date: Monday 23 May 2005
     Time: 0700 Pacific US (Los Angeles), 1000 Eastern US (New York), 1600
CET (Brussels), 2300 JST (Tokyo)
     Conference call-in data:  To be circulated to this list shortly.

     Finally, at the above meeting, we also would like to discuss possible
plans for an Autumn face-to-face meeting, perhaps in September in or near
London.

     As always, we deeply appreciate your contributions to our e-government
work as well as your support for open standardization.   We would be
delighted to see you in Amsterdam, but in any case we look forward to your
advice and participation and to talking with you on the 23rd.
      Best regards  Jamie Clark

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Director, Standards Development, OASIS
~   jamie.clark@oasis-open.org