Subject: Re: [egov] "Dry" and "Wet" signatures - A definition

Anders et al:

I will suggest you may want to think about this differently.  Many
signature mechanisms work in a way that mitigate the problem you are
hinting at without having to make this distinction.  Attempting to make
two classes of signature for mutable vs. immutable content is flawed IMO
since you would have to fully understand every possible way a document
or content *might* be modified.  This is simply beyond the grasp of any
group of people since there are so many variables (metadata changes,
versions, file names etc.) plus you are relying on third party vendor
statements to be 100% accurate.

A better methodology is to stipulate that at the time of signing, a hash
is made of the exact content using state of the art algorithms and if
the content later changes, the signature block is flagged to indicate
that there have been changes since it was signed and let the actor
decide how they want to proceed.  Adobe Acrobat's signature method works
this way.  If for any reason, any of it changes, the signature
presentation is flagged to indicate such.  This method was perfected by
Adobe, RSA, Entrust, VeriSign, GeoTrust, and ActivCard.  There is a lot
of information available on this from our website:
http://www.adobe.com/security/digsig.html

The attached file was signed, then changed to demonstrate this.  If you
go to the signature field, you can click on the triangle symbol by the
green check mark.  It will open a dialog window that tells you the
document is still the same, but the values themselves have been altered
since (this is important to distinguish between).  If you select
"signature properties", you get even more information.

Under the summary, the window will note any changes.  If you select the
"document" tab, a modification details window appears.  There is a
button that allows you to generate a change log to compute modifications
subsequent to signing the document.  You can also select 'View Signed
Version' to see the version that was signed and compare the two documents.

I agree that mutability detection algorithms are complex.  Our mechanism
was the result of numerous companies collaborating with customers to
ensure all legal and technical problems were solved.  This was a
somewhat lengthly process.

Best wishes.

Duane

Despatch-Advice-w-Button-signed.pdf