Subject: RE: [egov] Groups - London Oasis E-gov conference added

Jon:
I would agree with you but it cuts both ways: forgive me, I don't want to
shoot at the messenger but this is the opportunity to sound off

Many OASIS TC F2F meeting take place in the USA and use dial-in conference
call facilities that are Toll Free from within the USA/Canada only. As in
individual member, if it wasn't for my employer being generous, I would
clock up a phone bill of $100 per dial-in meeting, and *that* is a major
hurdle for participation.

I guess a paid-for dial-in facility for the London meeting would be
acceptable, rather than nothing at all?

I have asked the OASIS Board - through John Borras during his mandate as a
member - to look at "level playing field" rules for participation in all TC
meetings so that there isn't such a US-bias for a supposedly global
consortium. Others have phrased that rather more bluntly: only North
American members complain about meeting costs when there are proposed in
Europe or Asia; you never hear the complaint the other way around (which is
also more frequent).

All the best,

Peter
-------------
Peter F Brown
---
Chair, CEN eGovernment Focus Group
---
Senior Expert
ICT-Strategy Unit
Austrian Federal Chancellery
---
Co-Editor, OASIS SOA Reference Model
---

No trees were destroyed in the production of this message. Many electrons
were however severely agitated.